SPS-160: Warm Bodies: How to Follow Up a Bestselling Book – with Isaac Marion
Isaac Marion lived every writer’s dream; the purchase of his first traditionally published book by Hollywood, a respectful adaptation, and a resulting wildly successful movie starring Nicholas Hoult (About a Boy, Mad Max: Fury Road) and directed by Jonathan Levine (50/50, The Wackness). Since then Isaac has been finding his way as a hybrid author, while also learning the ropes of independent publishing.
This week’s highlights include:
- On Mark’s exploration of translation into German
- How interest in Warm Bodies built from its origins as a short story
- Using the zombie trope to explore deeper ideas
- Dealing with rapid success and having a book turned into a movie
- Providing input to the film’s writer / director
- Following on writing in the wake of the film’s success
- On creating a short-run special edition hardcover book
- Trying to write outside the boundaries of genre fiction
Resources mentioned in this episode:
PATREON: Self Publishing Formula Show’s Patreon page
Grab Your SPF Freebies!
Sign up to receive your SPF starter package, which includes a free 3 part video series on getting started with FB ads, and inspirational and educational weekly emails.