SPS-163: How To Write a Compelling Villain – with Sacha Black
Villains are as important as heroes. Who would Luke Skywalker be without Darth Vadar? Author and writing teacher Sacha Black shares with James some of the important thought that needs to go into building a compelling villain who will give your hero someone to test themselves against.
This week’s highlights include:
- How to make your villain a compelling character
- On anti-heroes and their flat character arc compared to a hero
- The three different types of character arcs
- On the ‘web of connectivity’ in storytelling
- The quality heroes’ need that may surprise you
- The importance of relating to your villain
Resources mentioned in this episode:
PATREON: Self Publishing Formula Show’s Patreon page
FREE WEBINAR: Mark and James are giving a webinar on the key strategies to use to get reviews for your book.
BOOK LAB AUCTION: As a fundraiser for good friend of SPF, Tommy Donbavand, we’re auctioning off a Book Lab package of including a free book cover worth hundreds of dollars. Click here to learn more.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Sacha has offered Self-Publishing Show listeners a free download to work on creating great villains here
Grab Your SPF Freebies!
Sign up to receive your SPF starter package, which includes a free 3 part video series on getting started with FB ads, and inspirational and educational weekly emails.