At Self Publishing Formula, we often bang on about the importance of building an email list. It’s the most important piece of digital property you’re ever likely to own as an author – perhaps even more than your books. That’s because your email list is the jump start to every book launch. Up to now we’ve never really gone in depth to tell you exactly what comprises a list and how to build one. That all ends today. This episode of The Self Publishing Formula is the first of a series of podcast episodes that will unpack the mystery of mailing lists and teach you how, step by step, to build your own. It’s the crucial component of a successful author career so listen carefully!
So what IS a mailing list?
A mailing list is a collection of names and corresponding email addresses that you own and are able to send correspondence to. But there’s more to it than that. The kind of email list we’re talking about on this episode is one where the people who are on your list have CHOSEN to be on the list. They have asked to be added because they’re interested in the type of things you promise to share through your list. That’s a powerful thing! It enables you to engage with readers without fear of spamming or bothering them. They want in on what you’ve got to offer.
List Building is Career Building!
Your mailing list will allow you to start creating long-lasting relationships with readers that will pay dividends not only when it comes to book launches but also with regard to research, feedback and writing inspiration. Getting the relationship right is key. Mark offers up some clear advice on how to go about this.
Build your first email list.
Mark and James take a hands-on, practical approach in this episode, walking you step by step through the process of building an email list. The first thing Mark suggests you do once you’ve decided on the method you will use to collect your subscriber information is to reach out to 10 people you know personally – family or friends – and tell them what you’re doing and ask if they would be interested in being part of your list. It’s an easy but often overlooked way of getting your list started.
Keep it going.
There’s never a time when you should feel that your email list is large enough, no matter how big it gets. Mark and James discuss the various ways you can build your mailing list on an ongoing basis – with more tips, tricks and advice to come in the weeks ahead.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:23] James and Mark introduce this episode about mailing lists.
- [5:33] This is the first of 3 episodes about mailing lists – how it’s going to work.
- [9:02] Why SHOULD you have a mailing list?
- [12:55] What tools can you use to build your mailing list?
- [20:01] How to begin building your list.
- [25:44] The importance of growing and maintaining the relationship with your list.
- [29:16] How often should you send email to your list?
- [33:01] Using social media to grow your mailing list.
- [42:30] Additional methods to give people opportunity to join your mailing list.
- [47:00] The challenge for this week: Get 10 subscribers by the next episode.
Resources & Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Brain.FM productivity tool
- Ads For Authors