SPF-039: The One Stop Shop for Formatting and Distributing Books – with Draft2Digital’s Kevin Tumlinson
The SPF team has been very impressed with the platform and service of the team at Draft2Digital. Their service has a two-pronged approach to help self-published authors with some of the most important aspects of self-publishing – and the service ensures that no financial investment is required until a book actually sells. On this episode, James chats with Kevin Tumlinson, a self-published author himself who works with the Draft2Digital team. Together they lift the lid on how D2D works, what it can do for self-published authors, and how the pricing model makes it easy for anyone to submit top quality ebooks to every digital platform.
Formatting your book can be a nightmare. Draft2Digital makes it easy for free.
In case you haven’t noticed or you are a brand new author looking to self-publish, all of the online ebook vendors (Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, etc.) have differing digital requirements for books submitted for distribution on their platforms. That means you’ve either got to format the book yourself or you hire it out to someone to do it for you. But not anymore. The Draft2Digital team has created an online manuscript conversion tool that will provide you with all the major ebook formats – and it’s free. If you want to learn how you can use the tool, what it’s capable of doing, and how it integrates with the D2D submission system, you’ve got to hear this episode.
Get all the self-publishing goods up front without paying a thing.
As writers themselves, the team at Draft2Digital understand the particular pain points authors experience. They also know that many self-published authors don’t have any real marketing budget and that their time is one of their most valuable commodities. That’s why they’ve arranged their platform in such a way that you can both format your books professionally and have them distributed to ALL the major platforms – without paying anything up front. Find out more details about how the platform works on this episode.
Digital income makes a nomadic lifestyle possible for self-published authors.
Finally, Kevin and James get to talk about Kevin’s new venture which will see him and his wife travelling the US in their newly purchased RV. One of the main motivations for doing this was to stimulate his creativity and thinking for his own writing by getting out to experience more of the world. He knows that new places and new people generate new ideas and he’s excited about the possibilities their travels could have for future books. You can hear how Kevin and his wife are getting on in their adventure on this episode. Who knows, maybe it will spark you to go on a nomadic adventure of your own!
Outline of This Episode
- [0:23] James and Mark welcome you to this episode with guest, Kevin Tumlinson.
- [1:00] Update on the upcoming 101 course development.
- [3:40] James’ invite onto Radio 4 in the UK.
- [8:08] James’ introduction to Kevin Tumlinson and the Draft2Digital platform.
- [10:15] The formatting issues authors face and why they are important.
- [14:30] The nightmare of trying to get your book onto the online retailers, and how D2D helps you do it.
- [18:01] How Draft2Digital can help you with the income and tax side of author income.
- [19:34] How D2D makes their income through these services.
- [22:00] Why the platform only charges authors after the book is successful.
- [26:02] Kevin Tumlinson’s work as an author.
- [31:29] Kevin’s experiment with mobile living.
- [34:46] How the new living arrangements impact Kevin’s workflow and podcast.
- [43:33] Mark’s story about working with the Draft2Digital team.
Resources & Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Kevin’s author website (you can find his 4 podcasts there, too)
- Radio 4
- We Are The Russos
- Gone With The Wynns