SPF-022: Using Facebook, Twitter and YouTube Ads for Effective Lead Generation and Book Sales
Social Media Ads are a big focus of our work here at the Self Publishing Formula simply because the days when you could organically drive traffic to your website and book sales pages through normal social media interaction are gone. That’s not only because social media is becoming more and more crowded but also because platforms like Facebook are adjusting their algorithms to make that kind of reach virtually impossible. Why? Because they want you to use their advertising platform instead. In this episode James and Mark give a summary of social media advertising and why they feel it’s the best approach for every self published author to find and target a specific niche of readers.
Facebook Ads for Authors: Which came first, the course or the need for it?
You might expect that a guy who’s created a course called “Facebook Ads for Authors” would tout using Facebook Ads. It’s in his own interest, after all. But in Mark’s case, he didn’t create the course because he knew it would sell (though he did know that). He created the course because he understood the changes to social media landscape and figured out how to leverage those changes to his own benefit. If authors are going to be successful at building a mailing list and selling books through social media, one great way is going to be through social media advertising platforms. The course is one opportunity for you to make that pivot alongside Mark, gleaning his hard learned lessons without having to make the same mistakes he did. This insightful episode will have you thinking differently about your social media strategy as an author and help you understand the need to tweak your approach and how to do it.
Why not every indie author will get the same results from Facebook advertising.
You might think that once you learn how to use Facebook advertising as an author, you’re all set. But it’s not that simple. Every advertising campaign targets a particular niche or genre fan base. Your appeal to your ideal reader may be effective but they may not have the means to respond as you’d like. You’ll hear more insights about issues like this in this episode about social media advertising.
But there are other social media advertising platforms out there.
The Facebook Ads platform is the most mature of the social media options but that doesn’t mean it’s the only one that works. In this episode Mark and James chat about their experience using both Twitter and Youtube ads and give you some hard numbers on the results they’ve seen. Depending on your market those may be very profitable platforms for you to learn and apply to drive mailing list signups and sell more books by building a larger fanbase. Hear the basics of how these platforms work in this episode.
Driving opt-ins to your mailing list is just as important as selling books.
One of your goals with any advertising is to sell books. But keep in mind that it’s only ONE of the goals. Mark believes that even more important than getting that one time sale is starting an ongoing relationship with a fan who could not only purchase more books in the future but also become part of a community that supports your work over the long haul. That happens through fan conversations, word of mouth, online community interactions, and much more. Find out why Mark says that building your email list is the most important thing you can do as an author – and why he recommends social media advertising as the best way to do that.
Outline of this great episode
- [0:40] Introduction to this episode of the podcast about paid advertising.
- [3:52] The Facebook Ads course was created because Facebook works.
- [4:45] Why organic Facebook interaction is not enough these days.
- [8:03] Is Facebook still good for paid ads geared toward sales and list building?
- [11:08] How lead capture is working on Facebook these days (2016).
- [13:20] How Mark also offers a purchase option during his lead capture process.
- [14:30] How Facebook works best for direct sales of books.
- [17:24] Why every business needs a mailing list.
- [19:12] How Facebook is working for selling books in Mark’s experience.
- [22:43] The reality of how Twitter ads work.
- [29:07] New experiments using Youtube ads.
- [32:12] How to get a FREE conversion on Youtube ads.
- [33:41] The different types of videos you can use on Youtube.
- [37:25] The problems James had with getting Youtube videos U.S. to work.
- [38:43] The up and coming social media ad platforms.
- [41:15] Lead generation and remarketing on Youtube ads.
- [44:26] The ongoing changes to social media ad platforms.