SPF-010: From Indie Publishing to 7 Figure Book Deal, with Bella Andre
Today’s guest is one of the most prolific and hardworking Indie authors out there. All it takes is a glance at Bella Andre’s catalogue to realize that this woman knows how to do what it takes to get books written! Success has come with over 50 bestsellers to her credit, and, during this chat, you’re going to hear Bella’s thoughts about how self-publishing has changed over the years of her career, how and when Indie authors need to put on the blinders, learning to work in your own cycles, and the details of how she got her seven figure print-only publishing deal.
As an Indie author you’ve got to learn when it’s time to put on the blinders.
If you know you’re supposed to be a writer and are doing the work, you’re going to have plenty of feedback and pushback regarding all kinds of things. People will criticize your work, tell you that you’re a bad author – the list goes on. It’s during those times that you can’t let yourself get focused on the negative things coming your way. Bella calls it “putting on the blinders” to keep yourself on track in your writing career. During this conversation she shares some of the things she’s had to overcome and how she did it by employing her own set of blinders. It’s encouraging and helpful stuff for any indie author.
Don’t get stuck believing that you have to write in the same pattern as someone else.
Bella has learned over the years of being a self published author that she has to be true to the way that SHE works and not try to follow some predefined or suggested writing formula. Even within the way she works she’s found that the routine changes from time to time. For her it’s a case of knowing herself and doing what best facilitates success for herself from day to day. James and Mark quiz Bella on how she goes about determining those cycles for herself and ask what she’d recommend to authors who are struggling to get into their own routine. You’ll love her responses.
The most consistently beneficial practice in Bella’s career.
From an author as successful and prolific as Bella you might think that the most beneficial things in her career are things you typically hear: writing a set number of words every day, doing the work, focusing on technique and skill development, killing her darlings. But she’s got a very different answer to the question that she shares on this episode – and it doesn’t have to do with the act of writing at all.
Outline of this episode
- [0:20] Today’s introduction to the guest, Bella Andre.
- [1:14] Busy recording videos for Youtube advertising.
- [4:30] Things that have changed in self publishing over the course of Bella’s career.
- [7:47] Why you’ve got to put on the blinders as an Indie author.
- [8:34] Bella’s “normal” daily routine and learning to work in her own cycles.
- [13:36] Is it common for Bella to work on more than one book at once?
- [15:25] Bella’s writing is all done in MS Word – for a reason.
- [16:28] One thing that’s been the most consistently beneficial to Bella.
- [19:03] Looking forward to a publishing deal and how it came about.
- [24:57] The disadvantage Indie authors are at in print publishing negotiations.
- [26:30] Advice for newer authors.
- [30:03] Why Bella does most of her stuff herself, with the help of contractors.
Resources & Links mentioned in this episode
Bella’s website: http://bellaandre.com/