SPF-044: Make Money Teaching Through Self Published Books – with Million Dollar Author, Joseph Alexander
The million dollar guitar tutor.
It’s still quite rare to hear of an author earning $1 million in book sales. But it’s extraordinary to hear of an author earning that amount from sales of his instructional books on guitar techniques. James chats with guitar tutor and author Joseph Alexander this week to unpack the way he’s been able to leverage his teaching to make money in a way that wouldn’t be an obvious option for most music teachers. Joseph’s self-publishing journey is nothing short of remarkable and you will be inspired with new ideas from listening to what he’s achieved.
Who is the guitar teacher behind this $1 million author career?
Joseph has been a guitarist and expert music tutor for over 20 years. His guitar instruction books are published in four languages and have sold over 200,000 copies. He’s authored over 30 guitar guides and is very generous in sharing how he’s exploited his niche, including his marketing approach and more. It’s all on this episode.
You could very well make money teaching a subject you love, just like Joseph Alexander.
If you are a teacher of any kind – languages, music, yoga, cooking – you have the possibility to create a self-published book empire just like Joseph. His terrific teaching ability lies at the heart of his business but it’s self-publishing and self-taught marketing processes that have triggered his high income. Get outside the box of what you thought was possible by listening to how Joseph has creatively leveraged his teaching skill to build a sizeable income for himself and other instructors.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:22] Welcome and introduction to this episode.
- [4:19] Introduction to today’s guest, Joseph Alexander: $1 million author.
- [7:37] How Joseph started putting his guitar teaching into written form to publish.
- [9:10] Why guitar teaching has become a very lucrative career for Joseph.
- [10:47] How Joseph has marketed his instructional books.
- [17:46] The systems Joseph uses to manage his email list and deliver his content.
- [21:38] Exploring the possibilities of online courses.
- [26:52] An example of how Joseph does his instruction.
- [31:39] The practical side of teaching guitar.
- [41:10] The history of Joseph’s book publishing journey.
- [48:23] Using Amazon marketing to distribute his books more widely.