SPF-040: Personal Branding For Authors – with Branding Expert Chris Ducker
Personal branding. If you spend any time with online entrepreneurs (and you should if you’re an author) you hear that phrase all the time. But what EXACTLY does it mean, and how can it increase book sales and advance your career as an author? There’s nobody better to explain it than our guest today, Chris Ducker. He’s a fellow Brit who’s made quite a name for himself as an online entrepreneur, author, podcaster, and brand expert. You’re going to get some very practical tips from Chris on this episode so be sure you set aside the time to listen and learn. Then take action!
Why being different is more important than being better.
The role that personal branding plays in your marketing arsenal is not about positioning but differentiation. And that is where a focus on branding yourself as an author is worth gold to your career. Chris unpacks why being different is more important than being better on this episode of The Self Publishing Formula.
Why you need to begin creating online content. Now.
When asked how authors can get started building a personal brand Chris said that one of the most important things they need to do is to begin creating a repository of online content. Blog posts, videocasts, podcasts, ebooks – anything that might prove helpful to the people who are interested in you or your books. It’ll help you to be seen as a unique resource and authority on the issues that they actively engage in. Chris says that too few authors take this seriously, and too few of the ones who do take it seriously actually do it well. It’s a simple way to stand out in the crowded self-publishing space.
Relationships should be treasured, not used.
When Chris talks about building a following he makes it very clear that you should never see people as a commodity, even though it is people who pay for your living as an author. The relationships you have with your audience are important for their own sake and you need to be clear about that. People can sense if you really care about them, if they matter to you – so you want to make sure you have this issue settled in your own mind and heart. Chris says that relationships (even with fans) should be treasured, not used. Find out more about how you can build the right kind of relationship with your fans in this episode.
People are happy to pay for access to experts. That’s why personal branding matters.
Most authors think that the only way they can make money as an author is through book sales. But that’s the furthest thing from the truth. On this episode of the podcast, Chris gives a handful of examples of how he’s helped authors build a significant income from their writing without it being solely through book sales. Are you curious? Chris draws from a wealth of information and experience and you’ll find his approach extremely helpful, so be sure you take the time to listen.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:34] James and Mark introduce this episode with Chris Ducker.
- [1:17] A special announcement: The winners of our Reedsy giveaway!
- [2:52] Mark’s latest speaking opportunities.
- [5:45] Update on the 101 course production.
- [11:25] Who IS Chris Ducker?
- [13:20] The changes Chris has seen online since he first began.
- [15:48] The importance of building your brand as an author.
- [18:00] Practical steps to brand building that authors should consider.
- [20:24] Do you really want to give away a ton of free content?
- [22:28] How would fiction authors handle this issue differently?
- [25:22] What should authors look for in terms of virtual assistants?
- [29:50] Chris’ perspective on what’s going on in the digital business world.
- [34:07] The only change entrepreneurs should be focused on.